Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Just Say NO to "Burp Back" Education

Dr. Strange is really on to something on what he wrote about "burp back" education. I know I have personally been taught stuff that I could not remember today even if I tried as hard as possible to remember, I just learned til I took a test then dumped all I learned. I think teachers don't do this on purpose I think it's just been the traditional way of teaching. Or teachers are so passionate about the subject they teach that they want all their students to know as much about that particular subject as they do. The problem with this is that students who don't share the same passion just learn what they need to know to pass a test. I agree with Dr. Strange that we should be teaching students the knowledge of how to ask question and willingness to find an answer. If we were to do away with test and teach till students understand the skills, then we will accomplish more and students will learn more and more importantly retain the knowledge they are taught. While on this subject I think it worth mentioning the "No child left behind" act, this is just a burden on teachers and students to pass a test, we should revamp this program so that what students really learn in school will be used by them. Lets stop teaching how to pass a test instead how to survive once they are outside the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment